Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Oven Fries

Having been away the last five weekends, I haven't done much cooking or baking. But yesterday as I made my children's favorite oven fries I thought they might do for a blog entry. These are good substitutes for French fries. Not as crunchy, but also not as greasy.

Recipe for Oven Fries

1. Preheat oven to 220°C. I never quite know what temperature to use, or whether to use the grill feature. I adjust it as I go. Here I used the grill.

2. Peel baking potatoes, two or three per person depending on the size of the potato. Here in Switzerland the label tells you if they're firm or mealy, good for potato salads or fries... I believe you want them more on the mealy side.

3. Rinse them and pat dry with a towel.

4. Slice them into fries with a large knife.


5. Put them in a bowl and pour a tablespoon or two of olive oil. I used one tablespoon here for two servings. For four people I'll use two tablespoons. Sprinkle with salt. Mix well to coat the potatoes.

6. Spread the potatoes on a baking sheet covered with baking paper or silicone liner. This is important to keep the potatoes from sticking. Try to keep the potatoes in a single layer, though some overlap won't matter too much.

7. Place in oven for about 20 minutes, turning the potatoes over once after 10 minutes. If you leave them in longer, they will be crisp but a bit dry. If you leave them in less, they will be softer. I sometimes put the potatoes in the oven under a roasting chicken. After taking the chicken out, some of the middle potatoes may be less golden than the ones on the edge, so I redistribute them and place them under the grill briefly.

3 comments:

Yuzuki said...

wow, your chips look amazing!!!!! I can't wait to try your recipe out!!!! I love your photos too!!

Warm Mittens said...

What a great recipe! Instead of rinsing and patting the potato slices with paper towels,I used my salad (lettuce) spinner to rinse, drain and spin away the excess moisture. :-)Worked like a charm!

Sandra

Astrid said...

Thanks for the tip Sandra! I'll try it next time.