Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Galette Number 2 Was Almost Perfect...

I had a little leftover frozen puff pastry and filling from my galette, and decided to try again, making a small galette for two.

What went right: The designs came out sharp, the galette was browner, the frangipane filling was a little more firm, the galette seemed crisper, and overall it was one of the best we've had.



What went wrong: the filling leaked on both sides! I don't know what I did differently from galette number 1. Was it the slightly higher temperature of the oven? The fact that the filling was chilled, and expanded with the heat of the oven, causing more pressure on the seams of the galette? Or was I less careful about sealing the dough? (I don't think so). Other reasons might be dough that is too thin, or filling that is too thick, but I don't think either of these was the cause.



Lessons for my next galette (in a year!)
- Make sure to trace a design on the galette after glazing it with egg wash. For some reason I think that as the recipe calls for two layers of egg wash, for galette number 1 I may have traced my designs after layer number one, and before layer number two...
- Use a knife to make your decorations: and don't bother using the back of the knife, galette number 2 was marked (carefully) with the tip of a sharp knife
- Bring the filling to room temperature before filling and sealing the galette (then chill the whole galette 30 min. before baking)
- Be extra careful about leaving a wide rim around the filling and chasing out any air bubbles from the inside out (but I really was careful...)
- Don't roll the dough too thin (3 mm no less)
- Don't use too much filling (even with the loss through leakage this galette had plenty of filling)
- Glaze with sugar syrup, as described in my last post, not with confectioners' sugar (as recommended by one recipe, which suggested simply to sprinkle confectioners sugar on the hot galette and return it to the oven. The sugar did not liquify and the result was dull. The photos in this post were taken before this attempt with confectioners sugar. Arguably the galette didn't need any extra glazing at all.)
- Bake in a 190 or 200°C oven. Perhaps start higher and lower the temperature later if you feel the galette is browning too fast. I think this higher temperature made the galette look better but also it was more thoroughly baked, and as a result less greasy from the butter.



* * *

Again, I remain in awe of how folding butter carefully into dough can generate such volume.

Before baking:


Afer baking:


* * *
Recap of all puff pastry-related recipes on this blog:

Puff Pastry recipes
- Traditional pâte feuilletée
- Pâte feuilletée inversée

Recipes that use puff pastry
- Galette des rois or Pithiviers first post
- Galette des rois this post and third post
- Palmiers (particularly good for using up the precious scraps of dough)
- Cheese straws or puffs (see above, under "First Test")
- Caramelized puff pastry (pâte feuilletée caramélisée)
- Fig and goat cheese tartlets
- Lemon millefeuille

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Astrid, those galettes look amazing!

The only problem is we can't taste them.

Seriously, how hard would it be to post a sample at the same time as you post an article? Seriously! Please think about it. Some of your creations are fairly postable. And I believe you'd be making food blog history. I'd pay for that.

I guess this food-mailing service from the Réunion recommended by Jean-Pierre Coffe made me think of that.

Also: that picture of a member of your audience looking at the half-made galette was priceless. And reminds me slightly of a Max & Moritz episode. Danger!

Sans grand rapport*, and from the sublime to the ridiculous, did you know the inventor of Instant Ramen died recently?

*(the idea of "printing food")

Astrid said...

Hi Kai, and thanks for the chatty comment! Double-posting food, sounds cool. But by the time I get around to posting (on a blog), the food itself is usually long gone, and all that is left are some digital photos that clearly won't satisfy your hunger. But if it's possible with any kind of food, then Ramen noodles should be a good place to start!

I was feeling kind of sad that galette season is over, and that my newfound skill cannot be practised for another year. But if you come visit then I'll gladly make an out-of-season galette for you, just to make sure I keep in practice!

tanya d said...

So beautiful! I'm inspired.

Re: posting food - I did hear a story recently about 3D printing...
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7165

Astrid said...

Hi Tanya! I thought I answered your comment but maybe didn't save. Wow 3-D printing. My mind is boggled!

Vivian Teixeira said...

Hi Astrid,
I also love baking and blogging.
I will try this recipe this week. But I'll buy the pastry in Coop :)
Do you know where I can buy "fève' in Zurich?
And, did you remember if you baked the Galette with the botton of the oven or botton and top on?
Thank you very much
Kind regards
Vivian