Friday, February 23, 2007

Pecanios, or Maple Pecan Tartlets



These pecan tartlets are one of my favorite winter sweets to make, so I'd better publish this recipe before the weather gets too balmy. They're easy to make, and unlike traditional pecan pie recipes, don't require any corn syrup, which we can't buy in France or Switzerland.

I use a flexible silicone tartlet mold for these, though I'm sure you can make them with regular muffin molds. The advantage of the shallow tartlet form is the ease with which you can fit the dough in the indentations: cut out dough with a circular cookie cutter, place the circle of dough on the indentation, push down gently with your thumb, done.

You can see the black tartlet form I used at the bottom of this pile of molds (from an earlier post on my fixation with silicone molds). Click to enlarge the photo.




Recipe: Pecanios (Maple Pecan Tartlets)
Source: I believe these were inspired by a recipe from Bon Appetit, though I made some changes.

Ingredients for the shells
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar or less
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 packet vanilla sugar (or 1 tspn vanilla extract)
- 1 3/4 to 2 cups cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt

Shell preparation
Cream butter to soften; add brown sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Mix together the flour and salt; blend into the creamed mixture.

Roll out the dough thinly, then chill it, as described here and here. Or proceed as you normally would for cut-out cookies. The thinner the dough, the better, or these tartlets get heavy.

Cut with cookie cutters into circles. Place circles in little tartlet molds (or cupcake molds). Chill while you prepare the filling.

Ingredients for the filling
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup maple syrup = 90g
- 1 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 packet vanilla sugar (or 1 tspn vanilla extract)
- 2/3 to 3/4 cups chopped pecans

Filling preparation
Preheat oven to 180°C. Whisk first 5 ingredients in medium bowl to blend. Mix in pecans. Spoon into unbaked shells. Bake tartlets until set, about 20 minutes. Transfer to rack; cool.

Update March 4th: I followed Kai's suggestion and named these "Pecanios..." Thanks for the idea!

9 comments:

tanya d said...

I can't wait to try these! My friend brought me two huge bottles of corn syrup last summer so I could make pecan pie and coconut macaroons, but I'm so scared to use it that I've only made one pecan pie so far (it was awesome!). So I'm excited to try this corn syrup-free recipe. One question... the recipe calls for "cake flour" (aka 6-8g protein)which we can't buy in CH. Which flour did you use?

Astrid said...

Hi Tanya - Oh, I don't think I pay attention, I use regular white flour. You can use Zopfmehl too, no? It really makes no difference. Let me know how they turn out!

Helene said...

Astrid, these are gorgeous...now the question is how many can I put in my mouth at one time? That first picture is perfect

zorra said...

They look so delicious, and the pics too.

Kai Carver said...

Let me suggest again you call these delicious little pecan treats "pecanios" (a play on "pequeño"). The word is not taken, according to google.

Astrid said...

Helene - Yes, pecan pie without the guilt... sort of!
Zorra - Thank you for your kind comment!
Kai - Pecanios it is...

Louise said...

About how many tartlets does this yield? Looks perfect for our upcoming Thanksgiving celebration! Thanks.

Astrid said...

Hi Louise,

I must say, I haven't made these since I posted about them! Which is a shame, but I guess I moved on to other projects.

If memory serves, this is not a very large batch, maybe 24 little tartlets? Sorry I'm so unsure. But try doubling the recipe to be sure.

And do let me know how they work out for you!

Astrid said...

1 cup chopped nuts = 120g